It’s almost the weekend, which means it’s music time, and yes, yes, yes, Tori Amos has started to release tracks from her forthcoming record Night of Hunters. This promises to be her greatest work in a decade, as she has created a modern 21st century song cycle to tell a story of pain, healing, love and rebirth. It’s also her debut record for the world’s largest classical music label, Deutsche Grammophon. Here is “Carry,” a magnificent, heavy song if I’ve ever heard one.
Now we hit shuffle on the old iTunes, see where it takes us ten songs later, listen to some music (after the jump!) and then go do weekend things. Go!
Oh, also, the West Memphis Three have been released. If you are familiar with the story, you know this is a monumental occasion. If you’re not familiar, take the next several hours and catch up. Start here. Anyway, now music:
1. The Seldom Scene – “Take Him In”
2. Green Day – “Walking Alone”
3. The Roots ft. DJ Jazzy Jeff & Jazzyfatnastees – “The Next Movement”
4. Green Day – “The Grouch”
5. Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals – “Steal My Kisses”
6. String Cheese Incident – “Land’s End”
7. Tim McGraw – “Some Things Never Change”
8. John Prine – “Six O’Clock News”
9. David Wilcox – “Blow ‘Em Away”
10. John Hartford – “I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow”
Oh gawd, I love John Prine. If it looks like I’m really, really country-fied these days, it’s because I am. But that’s also because I’ve only uploaded, oh, 1400 songs onto this laptop and the external hard drive so far. A little more diversity will come in the next few weeks…